Addiction to tobacco is a disgrace and a serious threat to the life of many people. The love of cigarettes is a serious and persistent addiction that subjugates the personality on a psychological and physical level. Many cigarette lovers have tried to end it, but only a small part of them have achieved the desired goal. After all, the struggle with any addiction is a real test of strength.
According to the results of the statistics, about 70% of smokers want to quit smoking and about 80% of this number have repeatedly tried to quit smoking. But what's stopping you from overcoming a deadly addiction? What tricks can be used to help quit smoking once and for all? These competent and effective ways should be known by all who have decided to take the path of health and longevity.
Any smoker will always find a thousand reasons to justify his bad habit. The first step towards quitting nicotine, of course, is an awareness of the irreparable harm that smokers cause to themselves and others.
There are some tricks to help you quit smoking once and for all.
Why is it so difficult to quit smoking?
But why, knowing how much smoking interferes with a full life, what deadly diseases it causes, does a person sometimes fail to cope with this habit? Explanations for this should be sought in the nuances of the individual's physiology and psyche.
According to statistics, in 2016 almost 60% of men and 15% of women consider themselves to be heavy smokers.
Psychologists have long found an explanation for the persistence of smoking. And they explain it for several reasons:
Ritual. For many people, cigarettes become a kind of life saver, a tool that can come to the rescue at any moment. Tiredness, tense conversations, hard work, arguments, frustrations and just the desire to relax after a busy day - everywhere the smoke helped to distract and relax. That is, cigarettes turned into a kind of ritual, without which not a day in the life of a smoker has passed.
Engaging. The habit forming mechanism is extremely simple: nicotine very quickly becomes an integral part of human metabolism. As a result of taking this supplement regularly, the body stops producing certain hormones. They are replaced by a nicotine compound. Because of this, you sometimes want so fiercely to drag yourself along, when the body feels the need for this hormone.
Psychology. This aspect is explained solely by the characteristics of the character. By the way, it is psychological addiction that becomes the basis for the development of any addiction. And it is precisely with this characteristic that few people know how to deal with it.
Quitting smoking: the beginning
All tobacco workers who want and dream to quit smoking should understand one important and fundamental truth: You shouldn't plan to part with cigarettes and set yourself an "X" date. In most cases, such a planned event is rejected and aborted. This is explained by ordinary psychophysiology.
Just at the thought that you have to quit smoking, another thing will be added: regret for the fragrant times past. And such a disagreement will prevent us from switching to the "bright, smoke-free" side. But the following nuances should always be known and remembered.
Good motivational attitudes are extremely important in the fight against any type of addiction. In case of giving up cigarettes, the reasons will become an important factor that can satisfy the will and help not to give up.
Competent motivation is based on the constant belief that quitting smoking will bring important benefits that will be worth the time and effort spent.
Only motivation can survive the first detachment from cigarettes and help the body resist the urge to smoke that sometimes wakes up. Where can you find this motivation? For each person it will be individual. Here you can use settings like:
- Save Money.
- own health.
- Already existing diseases.
- The birth (or presence) of a child.
- Unpleasant odors from clothes, from the body.
When psychologists explain how to help the body after quitting smoking, they always advise you to keep some rules with you. They should be known, remembered and realized. They are especially important in the initial phase of separation from cigarettes, when the withdrawal syndrome awakens. These are the following simple tips:
- Don't leave yourself hungry. You should always carry nuts, crackers, nuts, or seeds with you. So that they can always be used when the urge to smoke wakes up.
- Don't accumulate negativity. Try to avoid unnecessary stress, do not get into quarrels, conflict situations.
- Don't be alone. In the first difficult days, you should provide maximum support to relatives, relatives, friends. Those with whom you can share problems, talk about successes.
- Don't overload yourself. In the first few days when you quit smoking, the body will be in a state of stress, you shouldn't burden it too much. At this time, it is important to have a good rest, but also not to forget all kinds of entertainment that can distract the former smoker from the thought and desire to smoke.
Does replacement therapy help?
The withdrawal syndrome that occurs after quitting smoking brings with it numerous physical ailments and ailments. In addition to mood swings, weakness, nausea, symptoms such as:
- increased salivation;
- increased sweating (hyperhidrosis).
These conditions are extremely strenuous, but they can be alleviated. And various drugs of the genus of nicotine substitutes help in this. It can be patches, chewing gum, tablets, sprays. They are not always successful, but still worth a try, perhaps in this case they will be useful.
In the first days of quitting smoking, consultation with a doctor is required. Your doctor may be prescribing more effective medications that are available with a prescription. These can be various antidepressants that help relieve negative symptoms and relieve irritability.
You can also use other methods - acupuncture, physiotherapy, a hypnotic session that will help you quit smoking. What exactly to prefer, an experienced doctor will advise, focusing on the initial state of health and the experience of smoking.
Few people know that there are products that become excellent helpers in the fight against smoking. When choosing a suitable diet, it should be remembered that nicotine causes the production of "joy" hormones (serotonin and dopamine) in the body. These compounds provide a person with a good mood. And that is why (when there is no nicotine) that the ex-smoker has to deal with:
- bad mood;
And all these symptoms go against the background of a slow metabolism. But such problems can be avoided if you know which products help you quit smoking. First, in order to stop unpleasant manifestations, it is necessary to ensure that a large amount is present in the daily diet:
- fish dishes;
- vegetable oils;
- dairy products.
All of these foods are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These substances act on certain brain centers that stabilize mood. But the lack of nicotine is successfully replenished by dishes such as:
- citrus fruits.
Natural bitter dark chocolate perfectly improves mood. Just don't get too carried away by them. It is too high in calories, and the love of "chocolate" is fraught with a number of extra pounds. When planning a healthy diet, special attention should be paid to breakfast. It should be satisfying, consisting of energetically high foods. The list of energy products includes:
- tea companion;
- apples and bananas;
- natural honey;
- pumpkin seeds;
- red meat (veal or beef).
By eating well, do not forget about physical activity. The period of goodbye to cigarettes is a great time to visit the gym, the swimming pool. This will protect the former addict from gaining unnecessary kilograms and perfectly distract from the obsessive desire to smoke.
The help of the popular pharmacy
Various recipes from healers also come to the aid of the former drug addict. Among people, there are many ways to relieve negative manifestations and stop the withdrawal syndrome. Herbs and products with certain medicinal properties are used:
- Catnip, dandelion and valerian collection. Steam all herbs (1 tablespoon each) with boiling water (200 ml) and insist in a closed container until they cool. Filter the mass and take it with any desire to smoke.
- Grind the oat greens (250 g) to a flour state. Pour it with hot water (500 ml) and bring to a boil. After 1-1. 5 hours of infusion, strain and cool. You should take 100ml as soon as there is a desire for a cigarette. You can add honey to taste.
- Dissolve the baking soda (15 g) in warm water (200 ml). If you want to smoke, you should rinse your mouth with this solution.
- St. John's wort (25 g) was steamed with boiling water (150-200 ml) and drinks the composition throughout the day, replacing ordinary tea with it. St. John's wort contains components that have a calming and sedative effect.
- Mash the roots of the plateau and pour boiling water / (200 ml). Bring to a boil and boil for 3-4 minutes. Then leave to infuse for 1-1. 5 hours. You need to drink a decoction with every desire to smoke. This herb will help develop an aversion to cigarettes.
- Grind the leaves of the plant and steam them with a glass of boiling water. Leave in a closed container for 1-1. 5 hours. Then strain the mass and add honey (in the amount of half the received portion of the drink). Drinking such a drug should last a month, taking only 2-3 sips a day.
- Pour drinking water over oats, barley and millet. Boil the mass for 10-15 minutes and leave it for a day. Then filter and take 200ml on an empty stomach 3-4 times a day.
Use of nicotine-free cigarettes
Using these herbal smoking products can help you cope with addiction and the desire to smoke. By the way, such cigarettes have been known for a long time and have successfully established themselves as reliable assistants for a good cause.
Nicotine-free cigarettes have been known since ancient India. Their mention has come down to our times in ancient Ayurvedic manuscripts.
Their main difference is the complete absence of nicotine in their composition. This harmful compound has been replaced by other components. In particular:
- various oriental spices: cinnamon, coriander, saffron;
- officinal herbs: thyme, oregano, mint, mother herb, St. John's wort, horsetail, sage, eucalyptus.
Such cigarettes relieve the unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal, relieve the psychological addiction of smoking. The quit smoker, using such cigarettes, successfully copes with nicotine withdrawal and helps to take the path of a non-smoking life. You can buy such products in large pharmacies.
Cigarettes without nicotine are not harmful to health. In addition, they also have some healing effect, having a beneficial effect on the central nervous system and the functioning of the respiratory system.
Scientists, considering the problem of smoking, recognize that cigarette consumption is delayed suicide. The negative and fatal effect on health accumulates over 10-20 years. Most experts consider smoking one of the most powerful drugs.
But there are so many wonderful and interesting things and activities in life! And it is very easy to replace one addiction (nicotine) with another - healthy and useful. Sports, hobbies, photography, cooking, embroidery, yoga and more. Each of these activities is much better than smoking. Think about it!